In October we celebrate National Business Women’s Week. National Business Women’s Week® is celebrated every year during the third week of October. It provides a valuable opportunity to recognize and honor working women, and employers who support working women and their families. For nearly a century now, this celebration has helped to promote leadership roles for women and to increase opportunities for personal and professional growth. October is also National Breast Cancer Awareness month.
Our meeting is on October 17th. We will welcome as our speaker, Rita Bertler, President of Dollars for Mammograms. We will also honor our Woman of the Year voted on by all members. So as you can see it will be a busy meeting.
October Highlights in U.S. Women’s History
- October 3, 1904 – Mary McLeod Bethune opens her first school for African-American students in Daytona Beach, Florida
- October 4, 1976 – Barbara Walters becomes the first woman co-anchor of the evening news (at ABC)
- October 4, 1993 – Ruth Bader Ginsburg joins the U.S. Supreme Court as its second woman Justice
- October 11, 1984 – Dr. Kathryn D. Sullivan is the first U.S. woman astronaut to “walk” in space during Challenger flight
- October 15, 1948 – Dr. Frances L. Willoughby is the first woman doctor in the regular U.S. Navy
- October 16, 1916 – Margaret Sanger opens the U.S.’s first birth control clinic in Brooklyn, New York